Saturday, March 17, 2018

Kinship Care




Kinship Caregiver Navigator Program Introduced 

PPC has been working closely with state Representatives Kathy Watson and Eddie Day Pashinski to create legislation establishing the Kinship Caregiver Navigator Program and we’re proud to announce House Bill 2133 was introduced this week. 
The program will be a vital resource to kinship caregivers because for the first time ever, there will be a one-stop shop for them to find information about state and federal resources available to them, along with a 24-hour hotline they can call for assistance. The bill also provides for training for Kinship Caregiver Navigators. 
PPC joined Representative Pashinski, Representative Watson and other state officials and advocates at a press conference to unveil the bill on Monday, and the creation of the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Caucus and emergency guardianship legislation also were announced. 

Tell Us Your Story   
Two grandmothers who are caring for their grandchildren told stories about the challenges they face as caregivers, one following the tragic loss of a child to opioid addiction and another struggling to find what resources are available to her and her granddaughter.
If you are a kinship caregiver or know a grandparent or other close family relative raising children outside of the foster care system who would benefit from this new program, we would like to hear your story. Email Ashleigh Brunsink at ABrunsink@papartnerships.org.
We expect the bill to see movement when the House returns to session on April 9th, and we’ll keep you posted in future updates. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vickie, I'm in a unique situation. On 2/26/18 CYS came to my home and indicated my husband was indicated in a child abuse situation on our youngest (he's 10 years old). During the intake interview, the caseworker CLEARLY told me the allegations would NOT meet the state law of child abuse. On 3/6/18 the case worker called and insisted that a safety plan needed to be put into place. I told her I would have to consult my attorney first. About an hour and a half later she showed up in my driveway with a piece of paper (stating it was the safety plan) saying it HAD TO BE SIGNED TODAY and if I didn't there would be an emergency meeting with the Admin of CYS. I repeated to her I would not sign anything without my lawyer looking at it and I understand that she would have to do whatever she had to in that situation. She stormed off. About an hour later she phoned to tell me they would not make me sign one but a verbal one was in place stating my husband could not be in the home while the children were and there would be spot checks. That was the LAST contact I I've had with that caseworker. Late Fri evening 3/9/18 a male CYS worker showed up for a spot check. I left him in, he left. On Mon 3/12/18 a man from another organization showed up and had a conversation with me, asking about the dynamics of the home, meeting with the kids. To try and shorten this, I have been compliant with the verbal safety plan (which I don't even think is legal) up until it started to negatively affect my children and pets. My daughter started having nightmares, she wants to quit band, my son had me come pick him up at a sleepover (all totally out of the ordinary for my kids). I have a rescue dog who was severely abused by a man with a spanish accent. One of the spot check people has a heavy spanish accent. I asked her not to directly engage my dog because it upset him. For 5 minutes she continued to loudly tell my dog she wasn't a bad person. He was visibly shaken and has had tremendous anxiety since. Another time, when we werent home, I witnessed the same spot check person reverse quickly up my driveway and run over one of our chickens.

    I finally had enough. Put a stop to the spot checks. My question is what (if anything can they do now?) There is literally NOTHING legal in place, as I asked for anything they had so I could take it to my lawyer. Please help, I don't want them to spin this around and take my kids but they cannot keep traumatizing my kids! Oh, and when I brought up how they were traumatizing them, the only answer I got was take them for counseling! NO! I'm removing the trauma from their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did everything write by not signing. They have no right at all in your home ever without a warrant or court order. Don’t let them in! You also are doing the right thing by stopping the intrusion. I personally would have filed a police reort over killing your chicken and the harassment for no due cause. You can email me directly. I will do my best to help you. Stay strong. You are the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will :) It's nice to know I'm not alone. That's all I've felt for almost a month now.

      Delete
    2. You are so NOT alone. Lots of help. If you are on fb join Pennsylvania Families Matter. It is our private page for help and support.

      Delete